It has come to our attention that a company called “Jacobs Shipping Containers” as per below details, is using our Company address details fraudulently.
This criminal deception has caused some of this fellow’s poor “customers” to arrive at our premises expecting to collect containers they believe they had “bought”.
Company name: Jacobs Shipping Container Pty Ltd
Address 1: 401 Solomon Mahlangu Dr, Roseburg, Durban, 4094
Address 2: 15 Garfield Road, Alrode, Alberton
Tell: (+27) 031 828 2456
Mobile: (+27) 073 874 4631
Reg no: 2011-090257-23
Please assist us with getting rid of these type of criminals in our industry – kindly consider carefully doing any business with this clearly criminal individual.
We remain at your service,
Founded in 1999 by Gys and Jan Jacobs, Jacobs Transport was started with the use of only one secondhand crane truck and has grown to include a comprehensive fleet of over 50 vehicles and equipment and a wide range of services. Amongst other services the Gautengbased company specialises in the fields of machine moving and rigging, including loading, offloading, rigging and positioning of any machinery up to 75 t.
Jacobs Transport is a major player in the container, modular unit and parkhome transport and rigging industry sectors and can also destuff bulk loads or crates and assist with the rigging process to factory production or assembly lines. Jacobs Transport also specialises in abnormal transport and its associated permits and escorts both cross country and cross border, as well as the effective management of factory moves and the palletising and crating of equipment to export standards.
Jacobs Transport facilitates border clearance to all neighbouring countries, as far north as the Democratic Republic of Congo. By using the Jack and Slide hydraulic systems, Jacobs Transport ensures the safe movement of heavy machinery such as transformers, boilers, injection moulds and presses, especially where height clearance may be a hazard. These systems are designed to easily load, offload and transload valuable and sensitive equipment to engineered specifications. In addition to in-house specialised and certified equipment, compliant and trained riggers, including qualified red seal riggers, and on-site safety officers, Jacobs Transport also offers access to a range of carefully vetted subcontractors, delivering turnkey solutions.
The 21-year old company constantly upgrades its fleet of vehicles and equipment, which includes crane trucks up to 40 t, trailers with flat deck and drop sides, sidelifters, roll backs, Hidrokon, vehicle-mounted cranes and vehicles used to transport dangerous goods and abnormal loads. Jacobs Transport’s highly skilled drivers and crew are supported by a dedicated maintenance and breakdown assistance team and its rigging team includes experienced assessors that safely and cost-effectively manage rigging requirements. Vehicle track and trace capabilities such as drive-cam with 24-hour live video tracking, proof-of-delivery tracking, tracing and capturing and query resolutions are also available.
Jacobs Transport is ISO9001: 2015 quality management system certified and prides itself on being a Christian-based company with reliable and ethical values, providing clients with personalised, passionate and efficient customer service.
Choosing the correct crane is essential for safe and efficient lifting, whether you require a crane for a single project or if you want to expand your business and need to move around heavy equipment. The right crane selection is dependent on the number of job sites you need the crane for and the weight of each load. Currently for many business owners, crane truck hire is one of the most efficient and smartest types to consider. With numerous benefits, it is no surprise as to why individuals are opting to go this route.
A crane truck is more commonly referred to as a truck mount crane and as suggested by the name, such trucks consist of two sections; the lower and upper. The lower section resembles a semi truck and which will sit on either four or eight wheels and is inclusive of a cab for driving which may also double as an operating booth. The upper section refers to the crane which is mounted at the rear of the truck. The cab has to be of the right height in order to have proper visibility when driving on public roads. Such truck and crane assembly are available for hire in numerous truck and crane heights and configurations to make them compatible for use in various lifting situations. Unlike
conventional cranes, rear mount crane trucks can be moved or driven to different locations by any individual who has the correct drivers license requirements. Such vehicles ease the hassle of truck and crane hire as these vehicles are able to move around in smaller job sites.
What are the advantages of hiring rear mounted crane trucks?
The sheer size and mobility of the truck makes them the ideal choice for any industrial projects. Listed below are the ways that a crane truck will be beneficial to your business.
- Improvement of site accessibility
The standard cranes which we are accustomed to require transportation of the crane components to the actual job site location before it can be of any use. This already creates added expenses before the initial crane use and factor in that the setup of a traditional crane and keep impractical, time consuming and even impossible in secluded locations. A single unit piece of equipment, such as a truck mount crane will be easier to move and get to remote sites. In additional, mounted cranes do not require support pads which are commonly used in conventional setup. Sandy or soft land proves no difficulty or hindrance as the need for support is not necessary.
- The easier transportation of material
The hire of such a crane enables the client to move heavy materials or objects over a short distance on the actual crane itself. Having the capacity to work in this manner means that a lower number of trucks will have to be used on site and minimal time will have to be spent on transport logistics. Movement of materials with a conventional crane requires too many additional steps as the item will have to first be lifted via the crane, loaded onto a truck which will then drive to the new location thereafter the materials will be offloaded by the crane again. Investing in mounted crane hire will eliminate all unnecessary movements.
- Less amount of space required on site
Rear mount cranes require less space than your standard separate truck and crane hire would. When
taking space requirements into consideration, the characteristics of a mounted crane simply make it the better option to settle with. Acting as a single unit makes it ideal for use in urban areas and in the development and construction of land which already has existing dwellings. Other vehicles making use of the same site are not inconvenienced in any way as they are able to freely move around the truck itself and pass through.
- Fewer overhead costs
The use of a traditional crane requires prep of the site and the layering of a solid foundation and installation of support pads to ensure that the crane is able to be used in a safe manner. The crane would then have to be assembled on the foundation, all of which takes up a significant amount of time which could have been used on the actual project itself. In certain instances, specialized labor may be required for the crane assembly process. The benefit of using a truck with a crane already installed means that you can work on the original site with minimal to no prep and make use of all the workers you already have on site.
- Shorter time required for inspection
All cranes requires inspection before use to ensure that all safety standards and measures are in place before the commencement of your daily on site work. A mounted crane is no different however these inspections are much shorter due to the simple and compact structure of the crane. This shortened inspection time can reduce the average working hours for the day and may be the entire projected time frame for the job.
As you decide on the right crane for your business needs, consider the benefits of a truck crane and contact Jacobs Transport for more information on this particular hire.
A common misconception is that machine rigging is only about the use of large equipment to lift and move heavy machinery or factory plant, a fairly straightforward operation one might think. However, with the demands for machine rigging becoming greater and more complex each day, the techniques, procedures and planning involved are at the forefront of the operation. Rigging specialists may face challenges and job constraints such as limited time and operating space, demanding movement and production schedules or even just the sheer size and magnitude of the operation at hand. Here at Jacobs Transport we heed the call and as leading specialist in machine rigging, there is no job or operation greater and more important than meeting our client’s needs.
The operating of heavy rigging machinery calls for preparation and concentrated focus to ensure the safety of people, property and equipment. It is up to us to ensure that our staff are well trained and follow the basic essential rigging guidelines to ensure a smooth running operation. Listed below are the technical issues and procedures which are considered pre and post rigging operation.
- Only work with and allow qualified personal on site: It is paramount that every work on site or involved in the operation are aware of standard rigging safety. They should be have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the equipment being used and professional training in complying with standard rigging procedures in an effort to anticipate problems before they occur. Riggers must be able to stop equipment should an unsafe situation arise.
- Inspection of equipment and documentation of technical issues: Before the undertaking of any project, a thorough inspection of all handling equipment must be conducted. It is vital that only equipment in good working condition is used and lifting is carried out in suitable weather conditions to avoid any potential accidents. Any technical issues, inconsistencies or equipment malfunctioning must be recorded. Wear and tear is probable if equipment is used by multiple operators at a single site. Maintenance must be conducted as soon as possible, after the identification of a technicality.
- Setting of the load: The first and basic rule of machine rigging is to ensure that the load hook and upper suspension form a straight line and nothing comes into contact with the load. It is important to have a balanced load as an unbalanced load will run the risk of tipping the crane over. One must ensure that the crane is able to handle the load capacity and swing, whilst keeping in mind the size and radius of the load. It is the responsibility of the rig operator to ensure that no person stands under a suspended load or the suspended load does not move toward ground workers. Everyone should be aware of their surroundings and personal safety making sure to stay clear of pinch points. If the rig operator does not have a clear unobstructed view, then a spotter must be designated. A spotter will direct the rigger in making clearance and avoiding close contact with people or other objects on the worksite.
- Handling of the load: The slings and lines used must be of the good quality with high durability and ability to lift objects of a substantial weight. The tension and vertical capacity of each sling should match. If machines are or need to be turned off it is important that the load is not suspended in the air during this time. Loads should be landed before the hoist is left unsupervised and the vicinity must be clear before landing occurs. The load must be lowered slowly to avoid hard contact with the ground and the possibility of breakage.
- Knowledge of rigging equipment: Every rig operator must be knowledgeable about the load weight that the machine can lift. Such information is available in the operator’s manual and should be strictly followed. Lifting a load which is heavier than the recommended weight in the load chart could be detrimental to the operation and safety of the workers.
- Equipment storage: Upon completion of a job or project the rigging equipment needs to be stored away in a place where it cannot perish or get damaged by weather or other unforeseen factors. Aside from protecting the lifespan and durability, equipment must be stored in an area where it does not pose a potential danger for people working in the same vicinity. Equipment must be inspected thoroughly and frequently to avoid the risk of accidents.
As well-known leaders in machine rigging, Jacobs Transport offers a level of experience and expertise that is unmatched. With national large scale projects under our belt, will we certainly rise above any challenge a project might pose. Contact us today and we can help you with your machine rigging requests and related services.
In light of the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa and the National Coronavirus Command Council to enforce a nation-wide lockdown for 21 days with effect from midnight on Thursday 26 March, Jacobs Transport, has heeded this call and will be temporarily closing our offices as of Thursday 26 March, 17h00, with all our eligible office-based employees working remotely from home until our offices reopen on 17 April 2020.
Most of our operations will be impacted, with the exception of operations that support the supply of essential products/services OR emergency equipment. Where practical and within the ambit nation-wide lockdown we will do everything within our ability to minimise the impact and inconvenience on your business – we can assist.
We remain at your service,
Billy Meysel | General Manager
As we all know Covid-19, commonly referred to as Coronavirus, has been sweeping the globe with devastating effects on both humans and the economy. The highly infectious virus has crippled the social movements of people and limited the number of resources available and being produced. The travel restrictions and bans have citizens and business owners in a frenzy has the threat continues to grow at an exponential rate. With all the chaos surrounding South Africa, the movement and continuation of supply chain is critical. Jacobs Transport provides container transport services which will meet all your transportation needs.
What is Covid-19?
Covid-19 is the name given to the novel strain of Coronavirus which is currently spreading across the world at a rapid rate. It is a new strain which had not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning it is transmitted from animals to humans and are responsible for causing illnesses which range from a common cold to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Symptoms include dry cough, fever, fatigue, difficulty breathing and can thereafter develop into cases of pneumonia and SARS.
Origin and Arrival of Covid-19 on South African shores
The first cluster of infection cases were reported in the city of Wuhan in China on the 31st of December 2019, however the earliest case of infection was traced back to November of that same year. What started as an epidemic (outbreak contained to a specific area/ continent) quickly became a pandemic as it crossed continents and brought countries such as Italy and Iran to a screeching halt. South Africa was unfortunately presented with its first case in March 2020 and has since been trying to combat the spread of the virus by introducing social restrictions, in hopes of slowing down the spread of the virus to a manageable rate. With the arrival of Covid-19 in the country, necessities and perishable goods have been flying off the shelves. Now more than ever, businesses are relying on the timely movement of goods and resources to meet the demand of the South African citizens.
Impact on Transportation networks
The greatest and most immediate concern for the transport sector during this difficult time is to maintain the supply chain of items in demand such as medical supplies (gloves, masks), food and personal hygiene products (soaps and sanitizers). The transportation of goods will need to be conducted in the safest way possible for all parties involved whilst following the new guidelines proposed by the President where applicable. Transportation companies have to take on the responsibility to function and ensure the movement of essential items as store owners and their customers depend on the arrival of such goods. Container transportation allows for the safe movement of a variety of goods. The utilization of containers will offer the following advantages as challenging times fast approach;
- Fast transportation at affordable rates: All goods transported within the container are documented and declared. This lessens the workload and formalities it entails, making it much easier for the sender and recipient and limits the contact time during the delivery.
- Versatile mode of transportation: Containers are able to be moved over land, water and air and can be used in the transportation of a wide spectrum of goods ranging from dangerous substances such as hydrocarbons to fragile goods and food items.
- Safety of cargo: Opting for container usage protects goods and acts as a barrier against adverse weather conditions such as rain and hail, theft and damage due to handling. The risk of goods deterioration and loss of product is significantly reduced when choosing this mode of transportation.
Along with services provided, transportation companies have to ensure the safety of their staff and take various preventative measures during this time. Driver health and safety standards should be increased especially in areas with a high infection rate. The loading, unloading and handling of documentation should be changed to ensure minimal contact and interaction. Companies must accurately trace and record the movement of both goods and workers to document any possible risk of infection. New enforcement and regulatory procedures relating to vehicles, cargo goods and workers should be clearly communicated to avoid any confusion and possible fining. The new restrictions and procedures taken by the transportation company should also be well communicated in advance to the recipient so amendments and arrangements can be made accordingly.
Here at Jacobs Transport we pride ourselves on tracking each and every container in our care, a security measure which will now be beneficial in providing our clients with peace of mind during the current state of affairs. We are able to transport goods and necessities timeously, whilst ensuring that the utmost care and consideration is taken. Give us call if you would like to make use of our container transportation service.
Planning to move to your new house or looking for a container for your business? Perhaps you’re looking to haul bulk goods, or to store your stuff for a short period? Hiring a shipping container could be a viable option. Many people consider hiring a shipping container as an alternative to buying for utility and affordability. Although they are widely available these days, choosing the right container from plenty of them can sometimes be challenging.
So, what things need to be considered when hiring a shipping container? Well, here is a simple checklist to ensure that you meet your container needs.
1. Size of the container:
First, determine the size of shipping container you will need. This will require you to have a plan around what you are going to put in the container.
It’s better to spend your money on hiring one single large and long unit rather than going for several small shipping containers. Make sure your chosen container can handle all the weight you intend to carry. People commonly use 6m by 12m long containers as containers with these lengths are readily available and widely used in the freight industry.
2. Quality of the container:
Perform a quality check on the shipping container you are hiring. Scrutinize the unit from top to bottom and ensure that it is suitable for your needs. While inspecting look for durability and sturdiness to resist harsh weather conditions along with holes or cracks that can lead to damaged goods.
3. Duration of usage:
How long you are going to use the container for is another factor to take into account, especially if you are looking to hire rather than buy. All you need to do is to fix a date with the container hire company stating the approximate usage duration of the container.
A good idea while hiring a container is to extend the hire period a bit beyond your actual intended use. This way you have time up your sleeve when you need to use the container for longer than you anticipated. Sometimes container providers offer a discount on longer-term leases, making container hire a cost-effective option.
4. Perform a security check:
A must while hiring a container is performing a security check. The door of the container is the most dangerous area, but make sure the entire container is safe from unauthorized access; look for a lock box joined with the container doors to ensure the padlock is safe from being tampered with unlawfully.
While hiring a shipping container, it is wise to talk with your shipping container provider about insurance obligations. Also, make sure that the insurance covers all risks associated with your stock of stored or shipped goods while using the container.
5. Prepare the site to receive delivery:
When dealing with a container service provider, make sure that you inform them about the sort of site access you have, as making them aware of this will assist them in arranging the delivery of your shipping container.
If your site has any obstacles like overhanging trees or power lines, notify them so that they can plan to deliver your container in the safest manner possible. Make adequate room for the truck to allow for easy loading and unloading of the container.
6. Choose the right shipping container provider:
Make sure that you hire the right shipping container supplier. Look at what services they offer customers. Do you have a container that you need to be moved? At Jacobs Transport, we offer container movement services both nationally as well as cross-border container transportation services. Call Jacobs Transport today, to ensure your container is transported safely, timeously and in a professional manner to its desired destination.
Now you have a checklist of what to do while hiring a shipping container. So what are you waiting for? Make the best use of the list and choose the shipping container that is most suitable for your needs, call Jacobs Transport today!
In cargo transportation, an abnormal load is any load that exceeds the standard or ordinary legal size and/or weight limits for a specified portion of road, highway, freeway or other transport infrastructure, such as air freight or water freight. In South Africa, this is known to transportation companies as abnormal cargo. Examples of oversize/overweight loads include construction machines (cranes, front loaders, backhoes, etc.), pre-built homes, containers, construction elements (bridge beams, generators, windmill propellers, industrial equipment).
When transporting heavy haulage in South Africa, the legal dimensions and weights vary between regions within the country. A vehicle which exceeds the legal dimensions usually requires a special permit which requires extra fees to be paid in order for the oversize/overweight vehicle to legally travel on the roadways. The permit usually specifies a route the load must follow as well as the dates and times during which the load may travel.
Abnormal load companies in South Africa understand that when a load cannot be dismantled into units that can be transported without exceeding the limitations in terms of the dimensions and/or mass, it is classified as an abnormal load. Another definition can be summarized as following: an abnormal load is one which cannot be divided into two or more loads for transporting (on roads).
The Department of Transport has extensive rules governing the type of loads that may be moved on our national road network, and these are laid out in the schedule specifying different regulations. Abnormal load transportation companies in South Africa are aware of these regulations and the following are considered when transporting any significantly large load:
- Warning Indications – the size and type of the abnormal load will influence the warning signage that is needed. For example, flags to identify extremities, flashing lights to increase visibility and speed restriction boards to communicate the speed the vehicle is limited to drive at.
- Escorts – dependent on the trip and load, either an accompanying vehicle carrying engineers or a traffic officer escort is necessary for abnormal loads. Such escorts would be required to maintain the travelling speed of the load vehicle, and be suitably marked. This is to ensure that abnormal load is transported correctly.
- Permits – the appropriate permit is dictated by both the geography through which the load will move and the type of freight. The driver is required to have the correct permit available at all times. Permits can become exceptionally complicated when a load is moving across borders as different countries have different requirements. However, abnormal transport companies in South Africa will ensure that all the permits are granted before transportation begins.
- Insurance – before any permit is granted, the load transporter is required to produce proof that adequate insurance cover is in place for the abnormal load. Cover is typically required to encompass accidental damage to vehicles, 3rd parties and any private or public property, among others.
- Routes and clearances – it is the responsibility of the transporter to show that the proposed route is suitable for the abnormal load. To this aim, the carrier may be required to, at their own cost, prove that infrastructure, such as bridges, is capable of bearing the intended load.
- Infrastructure consideration and notification – within South Africa, it is necessary to notify, and obtain permission from Eskom and Telkom for any loads that may impact overhead cabling. These limitations are based on height restriction of 5.8 m (Eskom) and 5.5 m (Telkom) in height respectively. Should an abnormal load surpass these height limitations, the respective organisations will provide escorts to travel with the abnormal load to lift the overhead lines where necessary.
- Speed limit restrictions – the law prescribes the maximum speed at which an abnormal load can travel. The speed limitations are to ensure the safe transportation of the load, however slow-moving vehicles do congest roads. Once the impact of a load on the traffic patterns has been established, it is useful to notify local communities regarding the times that the vehicle will travel through their areas. Further to this, the speed limitation impacts the transit time of the abnormal load.
- Embargo’s – dependent on the size and type of load, as well as speed restrictions, the vehicle will be unable to travel on the roads at certain times. Night time travel is usually not allowed without the express permission of the authorities and is usually limited to travel under specific conditions such as within a well-lit metropolitan area. There is generally an embargo on abnormal load transportation on weekends, public holidays and special events. Each province has its own set of embargo times, which can further complicate the transportation of such loads across provincial boundaries.
Jacobs Transport was founded in 1999 and has multiple years of unrivaled industry experience and knowledge. We are the specialists in abnormal load transportation in South Africa and have taken on the biggest and most outrageous types of projects, with a 100% success rate. Be sure to contact Jacobs Transport today for all of your cargo and machine hauling requirements!
The time may come when you notice your manufacturing business has outgrown your facility. This may mean a facility expansion or new construction to improve infrastructure or modify production areas. Perhaps even a complete plant relocation will be necessary. In any of these events, it is crucial to ensure the safe relocation of your valuable production machinery. Whether you’re transporting existing or brand new industrial equipment, it is important to select an experienced heavy equipment mover for the job so that your industrial machinery is safely transported, relocated, and installed.
There are many reasons why moving and rigging heavy equipment can be complex and may often present extra challenges for any business. Facilities are complex structures that contain many intricate systems, moving parts, and heavy machinery. Moving any of these parts without proper planning or expertise can be disastrous. In order to prepare for facility relocation, new facility construction or retrofitting, there are many issues to consider. The following potential issues are examples of situations to be aware of:
- Modifications: New equipment and conveyor configurations may need on-site modifications for full installation even in new machinery installations.
- Customization: Established manufacturing facilities may be challenged when consolidating existing equipment from multiple locations due to needed customization and constraints in the existing building structure.
- Installation: Manufacturer differences in production equipment, conveyor connections, and system controls may create installation issues.
- Equipment damage: Damage to production equipment may occur during the dismantling phase if industrial equipment movers are not familiar with your business or do not have the required expertise.
- Delays: Equipment installations may be delayed if machine movers do not install equipment promptly, causing excessive downtime.
- Hidden fees: Some firms may charge hidden fees, such as extra travel costs, which can be avoided by selecting a firm with a proven track record for speed and successful installation.
Jacobs Transport will use the same level of care and expertise to relocate your production equipment short moves across town or longer moves across the country. No matter the distance of your move, we can provide complete design and installation of production systems from concept to optimum output. With the ability to adapt equipment to your new site or complete structural modifications to improve utilization of an existing facility, we ensure the most creative solutions for all industrial applications.
Jacobs Transport has a group of certified rigging, crane and forklift operators is fully trained to handle your equipment moves. Safety of the equipment and safety of all site personnel is always a top priority and carefully managed in every equipment move and installation.
Our years of equipment moving experience within industrial facilities has also trained us to look for the most cost-effective approach that will limit the impact to existing production areas and often requires the use of compact hoisting and rigging equipment. The ability to remove and install equipment within limited aisle and building clearance not only saves manufacturing downtime, it also significantly decreases the overall project costs by reducing the amount of building and existing equipment modifications necessary to gain access for the new equipment.
Jacobs Transport is committed to servicing your industries specialized transportation needs. We are specialists in the field of moving delicate, over-sized and challenging items both nationally and across border. Utilizing state of the art technology and employing highly skilled industry professional personnel has allowed Jacobs Transport to tackle some of the largest projects our country has ever seen, such as the movement equipment for the SABC during the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
We are industry leaders in the field of machine moving and rigging, having surfaced various sectors over the years, we are able to guarantee the safety and integrity of your equipment. We ensure that all of our abnormal load transportation jobs are conducted in an efficient and legal manor, ensuring the safety of others on the road as well as the safety of our own staff and your machine equipment!
Since 1999, Jacobs Transport has been revolutionizing the large goods transportation industry, we are dedicated to delivering our services in a timeously and professional manner each time. Jacobs Transport offers our clients a complete service of machinery rigging and machine movement operations across a vast range of various industries. We can take on any scale of projects, from disassembly, to reassembly, as well as the transportation required in-between!
Each and every industry has its own range of industry specific machinery that may require the skills of a machinery moving and rigging company, no job is too large for us here at Jacobs Transport and we will be able to assist your next machine move with ease!
These are some of our machinery rigging & transport services that we have to offer at Jacobs Transport:
- Machinery Moving
- Machinery Rigging
- Relocation Services
- Crane Services
- Heavy Machinery Hauling
- Logistic Services
- Packing and Crating
Our aim at Jacobs Transport is to offer a value service to our clients, we are multi versed and can attend to any industries requirements. We are a team of trained professionals and will be able to cater to all of your large machinery moving requirements as well as any and all machinery rigging requirements. Be sure that your next move and or rig, is in the hands of the industry professionals!
Call Jacobs Transport today for all of your long haul or short haul requirements!
Shipping containers have revolutionized the way cargo is transported between countries worldwide. The use of shipping containers has not only helped in ensuring the safety of the cargo but has also improved the overall cargo carrying capacity. As a result, shipping containers of different types are being built and used for transporting a variety of cargo around the world.
By containerizing cargo, importing and exporting has become a hassle-free process. Containerization has not only helped in ensuring the safety of the cargo but has also improved the overall cargo carrying capacity. As a result, shipping containers of different types are being built and used for transporting a variety of cargo around the world.
As shipping containers are increasing in popularity in recent years, how exactly are these shipping containers made?
Shipping containers are made from materials such as steel, aluminium, fibre-reinforced polymer, etc., or a combination of all. The process of manufacturing a shipping container can be explained as follows:
- Each shipping container starts with a big roll of steel. The roll of steel is firstly unrolled and then it is cut into several sheets. This process is done in dedicated factories with technically advanced machinery systems.
- Surface preparation of these steel sheets is then carried out using sandblasting and priming. This process is done to remove rust, dirt, contaminants, etc. from the surface of the steel sheets.
- The steel sheets are then corrugated to improve its overall strength.
- Roof panels and floor braces are separately made and sheets for wall panels are then welded together.
- Square tubing is then welded on the top of the walls. Once this is done, floor panels are assembled to form a floor frame.
- Door assembly and corner post assembly are also separately prepared. The door assembly is then installed on the floor frame followed by the installation of wall panels. Once this is done, the corner posts, wall panels, and door assembly are welded.
- The roof panel is then assembled and welded, the priming and painting are carried out and the wooden frames are varnished and prepared for flooring.
- Once they are installed into the container floor, holes are drilled to attach flooring panels. The door hardware is then finally installed along with rubber seals for watertight doors.
- The container bottom is then made waterproof followed by water tightness testing and the box is finally inspected to ensure water tightness and to check if there are any other problems.
While transporting cargo through the use of shipping containers may seem pretty straight forward, getting them where you need them to be can sometimes be challenging. There are different shipping container transport requirements depending on how far you need your shipping container to go, and how you plan to move it. You may be transporting locally, between provinces, or even overseas. Once you know this, you can weigh up the pros and cons of each transportation method – road, rail, or sea. However, at Jacobs Transport, we specialize in the movement of shipping containers domestically.
If you’re transporting your shipping container locally over a short distance, the most affordable and flexible option will be by road. Your delivery will be quick, allowing for drop off at a very specific location (depending on access) and at a scheduled time for your convenience. Road transport also doesn’t require shipping containers to have any type of certificate or international approvals.
At Jacobs Transport will take on much of the work and responsibility involved in getting your container from A to B, however, there are some things you will still need to consider and prepare.
- Don’t forget to ensure there are no obstructions at your initial location or at the delivery location. This includes things such as trees, electrical poles and wires, soft surfaces, uneven surfaces or narrow and awkwardly shaped lots.
- Ensure the surface for delivery is even and firm. An uneven surface can cause issues with opening doors and cause damage to your container. You can prepare the surface with adequate drainage too to ensure rain can drain off the top and not pool at the base of the container.
- Consider your local municipality regulations regarding shipping containers. If you are unsure you should contact them and inform them of your plans. They will advise you on the placement of your container away from the kerb, drains and fire hydrants.
- Don’t forget about how the driver of the truck collecting your shipping container will access the property for pick up, and how they will access the drop off location. It is important to ensure there is enough room for the specific vehicle type access.
Do you have a container that you need to be moved? At Jacobs Transport, we offer container movement services both nationally as well as cross-border container transportation services. Call Jacobs Transport today, to ensure your container is transported safely, timeously and in a professional manner to its desired destination.