Shipping containers have revolutionized the way cargo is transported between countries worldwide. The use of shipping containers has not only helped in ensuring the safety of the cargo but has also improved the overall cargo carrying capacity. As a result, shipping containers of different types are being built and used for transporting a variety of cargo around the world.
By containerizing cargo, importing and exporting has become a hassle-free process. Containerization has not only helped in ensuring the safety of the cargo but has also improved the overall cargo carrying capacity. As a result, shipping containers of different types are being built and used for transporting a variety of cargo around the world.
As shipping containers are increasing in popularity in recent years, how exactly are these shipping containers made?
Shipping containers are made from materials such as steel, aluminium, fibre-reinforced polymer, etc., or a combination of all. The process of manufacturing a shipping container can be explained as follows:
- Each shipping container starts with a big roll of steel. The roll of steel is firstly unrolled and then it is cut into several sheets. This process is done in dedicated factories with technically advanced machinery systems.
- Surface preparation of these steel sheets is then carried out using sandblasting and priming. This process is done to remove rust, dirt, contaminants, etc. from the surface of the steel sheets.
- The steel sheets are then corrugated to improve its overall strength.
- Roof panels and floor braces are separately made and sheets for wall panels are then welded together.
- Square tubing is then welded on the top of the walls. Once this is done, floor panels are assembled to form a floor frame.
- Door assembly and corner post assembly are also separately prepared. The door assembly is then installed on the floor frame followed by the installation of wall panels. Once this is done, the corner posts, wall panels, and door assembly are welded.
- The roof panel is then assembled and welded, the priming and painting are carried out and the wooden frames are varnished and prepared for flooring.
- Once they are installed into the container floor, holes are drilled to attach flooring panels. The door hardware is then finally installed along with rubber seals for watertight doors.
- The container bottom is then made waterproof followed by water tightness testing and the box is finally inspected to ensure water tightness and to check if there are any other problems.
While transporting cargo through the use of shipping containers may seem pretty straight forward, getting them where you need them to be can sometimes be challenging. There are different shipping container transport requirements depending on how far you need your shipping container to go, and how you plan to move it. You may be transporting locally, between provinces, or even overseas. Once you know this, you can weigh up the pros and cons of each transportation method – road, rail, or sea. However, at Jacobs Transport, we specialize in the movement of shipping containers domestically.
If you’re transporting your shipping container locally over a short distance, the most affordable and flexible option will be by road. Your delivery will be quick, allowing for drop off at a very specific location (depending on access) and at a scheduled time for your convenience. Road transport also doesn’t require shipping containers to have any type of certificate or international approvals.
At Jacobs Transport will take on much of the work and responsibility involved in getting your container from A to B, however, there are some things you will still need to consider and prepare.
- Don’t forget to ensure there are no obstructions at your initial location or at the delivery location. This includes things such as trees, electrical poles and wires, soft surfaces, uneven surfaces or narrow and awkwardly shaped lots.
- Ensure the surface for delivery is even and firm. An uneven surface can cause issues with opening doors and cause damage to your container. You can prepare the surface with adequate drainage too to ensure rain can drain off the top and not pool at the base of the container.
- Consider your local municipality regulations regarding shipping containers. If you are unsure you should contact them and inform them of your plans. They will advise you on the placement of your container away from the kerb, drains and fire hydrants.
- Don’t forget about how the driver of the truck collecting your shipping container will access the property for pick up, and how they will access the drop off location. It is important to ensure there is enough room for the specific vehicle type access.
Do you have a container that you need to be moved? At Jacobs Transport, we offer container movement services both nationally as well as cross-border container transportation services. Call Jacobs Transport today, to ensure your container is transported safely, timeously and in a professional manner to its desired destination.
Relocating an entire business to a new premise can be an extremely strenuous and stressful affair, especially for those businesses that utilize large forms of machinery. Likewise, a new business or business that has ordered new machinery, would also need to utilize a service, like the one offered by us at Jacobs Transport. Using our vast knowledge and years of hands-on experience, Jacobs Transport is able to offer a machine moving and rigging service that is reliable and safe!
Jacobs Transport has been hauling freight and performing rigging operations, alongside machinery moving operations since 1999. Started off by two brothers, Jacobs Transport has grown exponentially, with our fleet growing in leaps and bounds, to cater to our clientele’s various industry needs.
Our machinery moving and rigging department is comprised of a team of trained industry experts that thoroughly understand each and every of our client’s needs. Having skilled trained staff heading a machine moving and rigging project is extremely important as not only is the machinery normally very costly, but the safety of staff is also a major priority.
We have been revolutionizing the way large goods are transported since 1992, ensuring that our client’s needs are met in a cost-effective and timeously manner each and every time!
Jacobs Transport offers our clients a complete service of machinery rigging and machine movement operations across a vast range of various industries. We can take on any scale of projects, from disassembly to reassembly, as well as the transportation required in-between!
Each and every industry has its own range of industry-specific machinery that may require the skills of a machinery moving and rigging company, no job is too large for us here at Jacobs Transport and we will be able to assist your next machine move with ease!
These are some of our machinery rigging & transport services that we have to offer at Jacobs Transport:
- Machinery Moving
- Machinery Rigging
- Relocation Services
- Crane Services
- Heavy Machinery Hauling
- Logistic Services
- Packing and Crating
Our aim at Jacobs Transport is to offer a valuable service to our clients, we are multi-versed and can attend to any industries requirements. We are a team of trained professionals and will be able to cater to all of your large machinery moving requirements as well as any and all machinery rigging requirements. Be sure that your next move and or rig, is in the hands of the industry professionals!
Call Jacobs Transport today for all of your long haul or short haul requirements!