The time may come when you notice your manufacturing business has outgrown your facility. This may mean a facility expansion or new construction to improve infrastructure or modify production areas. Perhaps even a complete plant relocation will be necessary. In any of these events, it is crucial to ensure the safe relocation of your valuable production machinery. Whether you’re transporting existing or brand new industrial equipment, it is important to select an experienced heavy equipment mover for the job so that your industrial machinery is safely transported, relocated, and installed.
There are many reasons why moving and rigging heavy equipment can be complex and may often present extra challenges for any business. Facilities are complex structures that contain many intricate systems, moving parts, and heavy machinery. Moving any of these parts without proper planning or expertise can be disastrous. In order to prepare for facility relocation, new facility construction or retrofitting, there are many issues to consider. The following potential issues are examples of situations to be aware of:
- Modifications: New equipment and conveyor configurations may need on-site modifications for full installation even in new machinery installations.
- Customization: Established manufacturing facilities may be challenged when consolidating existing equipment from multiple locations due to needed customization and constraints in the existing building structure.
- Installation: Manufacturer differences in production equipment, conveyor connections, and system controls may create installation issues.
- Equipment damage: Damage to production equipment may occur during the dismantling phase if industrial equipment movers are not familiar with your business or do not have the required expertise.
- Delays: Equipment installations may be delayed if machine movers do not install equipment promptly, causing excessive downtime.
- Hidden fees: Some firms may charge hidden fees, such as extra travel costs, which can be avoided by selecting a firm with a proven track record for speed and successful installation.
Jacobs Transport will use the same level of care and expertise to relocate your production equipment short moves across town or longer moves across the country. No matter the distance of your move, we can provide complete design and installation of production systems from concept to optimum output. With the ability to adapt equipment to your new site or complete structural modifications to improve utilization of an existing facility, we ensure the most creative solutions for all industrial applications.
Jacobs Transport has a group of certified rigging, crane and forklift operators is fully trained to handle your equipment moves. Safety of the equipment and safety of all site personnel is always a top priority and carefully managed in every equipment move and installation.
Our years of equipment moving experience within industrial facilities has also trained us to look for the most cost-effective approach that will limit the impact to existing production areas and often requires the use of compact hoisting and rigging equipment. The ability to remove and install equipment within limited aisle and building clearance not only saves manufacturing downtime, it also significantly decreases the overall project costs by reducing the amount of building and existing equipment modifications necessary to gain access for the new equipment.
Jacobs Transport is committed to servicing your industries specialized transportation needs. We are specialists in the field of moving delicate, over-sized and challenging items both nationally and across border. Utilizing state of the art technology and employing highly skilled industry professional personnel has allowed Jacobs Transport to tackle some of the largest projects our country has ever seen, such as the movement equipment for the SABC during the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
We are industry leaders in the field of machine moving and rigging, having surfaced various sectors over the years, we are able to guarantee the safety and integrity of your equipment. We ensure that all of our abnormal load transportation jobs are conducted in an efficient and legal manor, ensuring the safety of others on the road as well as the safety of our own staff and your machine equipment!
Since 1999, Jacobs Transport has been revolutionizing the large goods transportation industry, we are dedicated to delivering our services in a timeously and professional manner each time. Jacobs Transport offers our clients a complete service of machinery rigging and machine movement operations across a vast range of various industries. We can take on any scale of projects, from disassembly, to reassembly, as well as the transportation required in-between!
Each and every industry has its own range of industry specific machinery that may require the skills of a machinery moving and rigging company, no job is too large for us here at Jacobs Transport and we will be able to assist your next machine move with ease!
These are some of our machinery rigging & transport services that we have to offer at Jacobs Transport:
- Machinery Moving
- Machinery Rigging
- Relocation Services
- Crane Services
- Heavy Machinery Hauling
- Logistic Services
- Packing and Crating
Our aim at Jacobs Transport is to offer a value service to our clients, we are multi versed and can attend to any industries requirements. We are a team of trained professionals and will be able to cater to all of your large machinery moving requirements as well as any and all machinery rigging requirements. Be sure that your next move and or rig, is in the hands of the industry professionals!
Call Jacobs Transport today for all of your long haul or short haul requirements!
Cranes of any type, are the most efficient aid when it comes to meeting any lifting requirement. Mostly designed to lift heavy weight objects, cranes are considered to be simple machines with various attachments like wire ropes, drums, chains and a telescopic boom on the platform.
There are several factors that influence your choice of cranes. For example A mobile crane is used when the site is not easily navigable; in other words, if the location is full of buildings and structure, using a static crane is not at all a feasible idea. This is when a mobile crane is used as they can easily move in small areas. But there are more benefits of using a mobile truck crane. These are:
- Powerful in terms of strength-Do not underestimate the power of a mobile crane. Although they might be smaller in size than many of the other types of crane, mobile cranes will definitely win the battle when it comes to lifting heavy objects, not one but more than that. This type of crane has the ability to perform multitasking since it can lift more than one heavy object, at the same time. You may be wondering how can such a small crane lift so many heavy objects at one go? Simply because of its improved hydraulic power and multiple axles that help it to lift heavy objects to such great heights. Thus, if you doubt the strength of a mobile crane, think again.
- Requires less space-From the word ‘mobile’, it is understood easily that this crane is smaller in size and so can fit into smaller spaces compare to other crane types. On the other hand, it is a difficult task for the larger cranes to get in a cramped up space and perform the lifting job. Mobile cranes can easily move in between two buildings, do the job and come out conveniently without much struggle. Grant a small working space and a mobile crane will never disappoint you.
- Sets up quickly-Since a mobile crane requires less space to function, it also requires less time for setting up. The time needed to set up a mobile crane in a construction site is very brief unlike other cranes like a tower crane. As a result, this crane needs lesser space to stabilize and also helps you to finish your work quickly.
- Ensures safety-The more mobile and flexible a crane is, the safer it is to use. And this is especially true for a mobile crane. It can easily access a congested site with narrow space and carry heavy objects with ease. Thereby it ensures the safety of the workers on the site and also meets your expectations.
- An advantage to the construction sites-For any crane hire agency, having a fleet of the latest mobile crane is a must. Not only it provides high flexibility but also can lift heavy weights with ease because of its sturdiness and power. In addition, mobile cranes also reduce pollution rates, is radio controllable and emits less noise. If you want maximum mobile features in a crane, using a mobile crane is your perfect search as it can easily move sideways in a restricted area.
To build a structure of any dimension successfully, choosing the right crane hire company is the key. While searching for the right company can be a difficult task, once you find a suitable company, nothing can stop you from building your dream structure!
It is important to remember that the right crane hire agency forms the strength and backbone of your constructional project. Besides, it also ensures safety while operating the various crane models. Your anxiety and stress are reduced to some extent when you operate a crane from a reputed crane hiring company, which can ensure maximum satisfaction.
Hiring a crane is more convenient than owning one and this fact is commonly agreed by all construction company owners. Given the cost of purchasing and maintaining the cranes, choosing Jacobs Transport would be a wise decision if you want to keep low operational costs while enjoying efficiency.
Jacobs Transport has a range of truck crane to hires and is sure to cater to any of your industry requirements! Our truck cranes are fitted with the strongest and most robust forms of retractable truck cranes, we are able to haul large loads to your desired destination, as well as load and offload your materials with the utmost of caution and professionalism.
Jacobs Transport offers our clients both long distance and short distance hauls, all of our truck crane operators have undergone tedious training to ensure the safety and integrity of our client’s merchandise. We have been around since 1999 and boast years of unrivaled industry experience and expertise. Make sure that the safety and efficiency of your next drop off or delivery is in the hands of professionals.
Call Jacobs Transport today for all of your truck crane hiring requirements!
“It’s all about location, location, location”. We’ve all heard this before, where you are is important, sure, but so is where you’re heading. And nothing could be truer for your business. Often getting your products, equipment or goods transferred from one place to another can seem like a hassle. This is why we specialise in specialized transports. We understand the need for unique transport and logistics services. In this blog post, we will explain what specialised transport services are and why it’s important to consider it as a viable option for your business and it’s precious cargo.
Have you ever considered how large rigging machines, building equipment or even containers get moved around and relocated from location to location while still maintaining their proper use and function in a safe and controlled manner? The answer is specialised transportation.
Certain industries use specialized transport for different purposes. We highly recommend using specialized transport over a regular transport system as your goods, projects or equipment may not be properly taken care off and can get damaged in transit. Not only is it dangerous for your business and your peace of mind, often it can be dangerous for others driving alongside the transport that your cargo is in. We can arrange delivery of almost all kinds of transport including cargo with governance, rules and regulations. Specialised transportation is also often motioned sensitive and freight and has an element of security. In order to make sure the delivery goes well there also needs to be a plan in place.
A well-planned route can help avoid many hassles. It allows the freight to move through safe zones and avoid zones that have a high-security risk. Can accommodate for weather patterns and make sure that the goods are tied down correctly, securely and safely. When planned ahead the goods can also be loaded calmy and carefully into the appropriate vehicle or mode of transport. Specialised transportation services are also there to ensure that your cargo is hosted and moved by trained professionals with experience in the field without having to worry about that.
Specialised transportation services also mean you can deliver component that is high in value with maintaining the safety and shipment at all times. You can transport a lot of different things. Below is a list of industries that require special and different types of specialised transport:
- Hardware: Use to transport large machines, large pieces of building material and equipment as well as to help move components from one area to another.
- Abnormal load: Moving equipment and large vehicles
- Container transport
We are also able to move cargo and equipment across borders so if you have a local company and need to transport goods to Botswana then you can contact us for a quote today, yes it’s that simple! You may be wary considering that usually, items that need special transportation are large in size and expensive. We offer expert tracking and tracing of your cargo in real time so you always know where your valued goods are and we’ll keep you updated. All of our staff are trained to be professional and are well-versed in their field. They have years of experience and are reliable.
Before sending your equipment via a specialised transport system you should make sure that you prepare it for the journey, just like you yourself would prepare. If your cargo is too large, say a machine but it has detachable components, often it is highly recommended to deconstruct it safely. It also is important to follow the necessary laws when transporting your goods as there is a lot to be considered.
You may need specialised transports if you have machines and rigging machines to move. All our abnormal loads are efficiently and legally conducted to ensure the safety of everyone involved including drivers on the road. We aim to make sure that our staff and your equipment are always kept safe and in the best condition possible.
Having trained personnel is important since they are in charge of the goods, at Jacobs Transport our staff are highly qualified and trained to assist with the transportation and handling of your cargo, equipment or items requiring special transports. All our drivers meet industry and company standards. We provide them with expert training in key areas such as conveying, rigging and lifting as well as safety and handling to ensure that each task is treated with the utmost importance. Our training is continuously focused on ensuring that we maintain our high standards when it comes to our operations and especially the well being of our staff and in turn your cargo.
We’re industry leaders with almost two decades of experiences and are committed to revolutionising the transport industry. For all your specialised transport needs feel free to get in touch with us to ensure peace of mind and quality results, every time.
Our Areas of Expertise
Jacobs Transport was founded in 1999 by two determined brothers, Gys and Seun Jacobs.
Due to the excellent service provided by Jacobs Transport throughout the years, we have built long-standing relationships with our customers. The fleet expanded drastically with a wide variety of vehicles and equipment now available.
We have expanded our capabilities in the Machine Moving & Rigging sector by investing in highly qualified resources and are able to offer the traditional services like Rigging, Loading, Offloading and positioning of any machinery up to 75 tonnes with inhouse equipment.
Jacobs Transport can arrange your Abnormal Transport and the associated requirements like permits and escorts. Or if you are planning a Factory Move that requires a variety of solutions as well as project planning and execution we can gladly assist.
We’ve handled Erection of Steel structures, Towers, Tanks, Vessels, Silos etc. De-stuffing, stuffing, lashing, and strapping of containers. Palletizing and crating of equipment including to export standards.
Jacobs Transport owns one of the largest fleets of Side loaders in southern Africa. Side Loaders are specialised trailers with cranes on each end that can load or offload heavy packed shipping containers. Typically, we would assist clearing and forwarding companies to collect full containers from a depot, deliver and ground at the client’s premises, then collect and return the empty after we’ve assisted with the destuffing.
Moving heavy equipment like generators into position is our specialty. Generators are often required as back up for mines, hospitals or shopping centers. Their positioning into basements or on top of buildings is a requirement and can be very demanding due to space restrictions. In this case transport companies will often request our help to offload and with, for example, crawlers and jacks, move the heavy machinery into- position.
Our Rigging Team includes experienced Assessors (Red Seal qualified) that can safely, and cost effectively manage your rigging requirements. Part of the service includes site inspections. Also, risk assessments for deliveries to mine or rigging studies as required by HSE. Included in our rates, for further peace of mind, contractors All Risk (Rigging) to a max of R 1.5 million.
We offer access to a wide range of strenuously vetted and approved sub-contractors making it possible to offer turn-key solutions. Inhouse specialised and certified equipment, compliant and trained riggers with safety files on all trucks. On site Safety Officer or Site Supervision can be arranged with qualified In-House staff.
Jacobs Transport offers:
- 18 years’ expertise in a very specialised field
- Machine moving & Rigging
- Red Seal Riggers Inhouse
- Specialized Rigging Equipment
- One-stop shop for Abnormal Loads
- Permits and escorts as well as route approvals
- Border Clearance to all neighbouring countries and into Africa
- Road Haulier in bond (RIB)
- In house SHE Manager
- Hazardous Chemicals transport certified
- Explosives transport certified
- An ISO 9001: 2015 Compliant Company
- GIT cover included of R 1500 000.-
- Contractors All Risk (Rigging) max of R 1.5 million.
Simply put, Jacobs Transport’s strives to be a reliable and ethical company providing our clients with the most efficient service possible. Our biggest assets are our professional and dedicated staff and state of the art equipment.
We value our clients, suppliers and service providers and will honor our commitments in line with this mission statement.
This article is brought to you by Jacobs Transport and will be published in the next edition of Africa Engineering.